Week in Review, London.
So over a week has gone past since my last post. I apologise.
To briefly recap the past week:
- I have started to figure out some things at work. I actually feel I have done more than just going around and asking questions.
- I can now drive about without, for the most part, having to check the navigator. I still am not completely comfortable with my knowledge of where the left side of the car is and I still need a little work on my shifting.
- I AM now able to get in and drive without a significant increase in my stress levels.
I just couldn’t seem to get the cart to go in any further so I caught the Underground to head a little closer to the city center.
My first destination was the Millennium bridge and a walk across the Thames to Shakespeare's Globe Theater. Yes, I know the original Globe is gone and this one is recreation but it is a very lovely one. Checking prices, you can be a groundling for a little less than $25.00 but you stand through the whole show. Tours pretty much end by 1:00 because they have a 2:00 PM matinee. Saturday’s matinee was to be the Taming of the Shrew. It was sold out.
In the photo above, the Globe is that white building to the right of center. The Picture on the right is where those who wanted to be seen sat.
In this picture It is approaching noon and they are preparing the stage for the 2:00 o’clock performance. That is what I call a tight schedule.
The set construction added a bit of a challenge for my docent, Maeve. It seemed that every time she built up to one of her punchlines, the folks on the stage would fire up a power tool. It made for a disjointed but funny tour.
OK, time for lunch.
I set out for Borough Market; a VERY popular open food market about a ½ mile from the Globe. Butchers, Bakers, Cheese merchants, gourmet food supplier, fruit sellers, and greengrocers peddle their wares. A very interesting diversion, especially as they all pretty much offer samples.
BUT what I came for was to partake of the offerings of the street vendors and they were there in spades. Problem was so was half of London; it was Jam Packed.
I eventually decided upon the empanadas, one chicken and one beef. The chicken was good, the beef was FANTASTIC. I also bought some sausages for later at another stall. I bought three meet sticks; one of venison, one of wild boar, and one of something else whose name I didn't recognise.
Next on my agenda was to cross the Tower Bridge and tour the Tower of London. So off I went.
On the way I came upon a park named Potters Fields. Part of the park is, and I quote, a "colourful herbaceous garden by Piet Oudolf, world famous plantsman".
The park also has some lovely views of the Tower of London, City Hall and both the London and Tower bridges.
I had a little challenge with both the Millennium and Tower Bridge. I kept heading to the bridge following the river walk. Unfortunately, the bridges don't start at the waters edge. So with the Millennium I had to back track a little to get to its access point. I feared I was going to have to do it again with the Tower Bridge but stumbled upon a stairway that lead up to the bridge level.
So I made it to the Tower of London shortly after 2 PM and I caught the next Yeoman Warder Tour which started at 2:30. The Yeomen are all former military and, if I remember right, have to have at least 18 years of commendable service in one of their armed forces. The Yeoman that lead my tour must have been a former Drill Sergeant. He could bark orders that you just naturally snapped to and complied with and yet he would then soften and slip in a very funny bit of humor. The kids hung on his every word, as you can see from the picture below(so did most of the adults).
The following link is someone else's video of this guy and it isn't great quality but it gives you some idea of his delivery http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YuSc-Vr1rc&list=FLd38rdMqBShGAc4x4WSoruQ&index=1&feature=plpp_video
After a marvellous hour with this man I began my investigation of the area. There are many different displays in each of the different Towers, from the Crown Jewels (I lucked out as there wasn't that bad a line) to torture devices, to armor from many of the different kings to all the different arms used through out the ages and more than I can put down here and still get this blog posted this week. It is an amazing place and the 3 1/2 hours I spent could easily have doubled if only my feet could have held up.
![]() |
| The White Tower. The first Tower. Built in the 11th Century |
| The Tower Garden as viewed from inside Beauchamp Tower |
| Waterloo Block; Inside be the Crown Jewels, yarrr. |
So as the Tower of London closes at 5:30, so do most all of the other venues around. I thought about possibly taking the underground over to Westminster and taking a photo of The Abbey and Big Ben but my body had given up on me. I checked out possible bus tours but they were also done for the day except for the night tours and unfortunately I needed to catch the train back before the end of the night bus tour.
| Euston Station |
I figured as I wouldn't mind leaving a little cushion for error this first trip back I would head for Euston Station and my Virgin Fast Train connection. With very little stumbling I made my way back to lovely Milton Keynes and the Abbey Hill Hotel and was in my room by 8:30. I had a little issue with the cabbies at the Milton Keynes station as I couldn't figure out where the head of the queue was. They got over it and I got back to the Hotel.
Hey, it looks like I am going back to London this coming Saturday as a coworker has arrived this week to work on IS stuff and she would like to go. It would be my pleasure.
Later



Three words: Cabinet War Rooms
ReplyDeleteBus tour then Cabinet War Rooms.
ReplyDelete